Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dairy Free....

I have been attempting a dairy free diet since September last year. I have my ups and downs with actually being able to do it, but it has made a significant difference in my original reason to go dairy free. My conclusion is I have a dairy allergy. Why because one of my symptoms is not listed on the intolerance symptoms. Simple right? Anyway that is not what this is about.
This is about your reaction. If I tell someone that I am dairy free, the first question is why. My answer is I think I am allergic (if I know you) or I am allergic (if I don't). Some leave it at that and some say why do you think you are allergic, and since I am not one that really like "bathroom" talk I just say it messes me up. Most are satisfied with this answer and still others press. I go ahead and tell them the problem if they press and I know them well enough.
The next concern is one of two choices. The person will then ask if I am taking calcium, or they will be concerned with making sure I can still have treats like ice cream.
Those that are concerned with my calcium are quick to tell me about viactive or other calcium supplements. I smile and nod, and know I should have been taking calcium for years I have never liked drinking a glass of milk. Honestly it will take a doctor to get me to take calcium supplements. I am sure to get extra calcium in anything where that is an option, and I know I probably need it, just haven't gone there yet.
The people who I enjoy the most are those that are so concerned with my ice cream and treats consumption. They are sure to tell me about various non-dairy ice creams. I smile look at them and say really it's a good thing I can't have ice cream makes the diet easier! You see I am also on a weight loss journey.
So if you see me and we happen to be on the subject of my diet, please know I have my reasons (of which I don't like sharing), I will be fine without ice cream, and I am waiting for the doctor to prescribe supplements. Thank you!

4 comments:

Tracey said...

I'm wondering about the cheese. Was that hard or have you found a substitute?

Unknown said...

It wasn't as hard as I would have thought. Tacos, burgers and other things that you might think you can't have without cheese are actually okay, also great for cutting out the fat!
Queso is what I miss the most. I think most other things I can find a substitute for if I want.

thursday said...

hi yes this is hard...i have been ill for years and had not connected it was to do with dairy, lactose and wheat and gluten...over the years i got worse and worse until the last 6 months have been terrible and yes i agree 'bathroom talk' is not nice its kinda embarrassing....even to tell the doctor....well the last 6 months have been agony and i always have been so fatigued and did not know why...it was affecting my life and so bad it was hard to even go out and my university work was suffering....i have concluded i am coeliac and now have to go through the doctors lengthy process to get proper diagnosis as i am struggling to cut out these foods that make me ill...

i find lacto free cheese tastes like rubber...the gluten free bread has a funny texture and taste..everything i loved to eat i really cant and i am trying..and hence problems have gotton better..but i keep relapsing and then i pay badly...i really dislike this thing..i quite like soya milk tho...but its a real pain to have to check all ingredients on things and so much i cannot have ..my mum doesnt understand and came to visit and brought profiteroles yesterday and i am feeling badly today as a consequence...:( well good luck i hope you are feeling better now and can stick to the restricted diet...

Kara Jay said...

It's really funny how concerned people are with the diets of others. I'm a vegetarian and answer tons of questions about it daily. It's crazy, but I find it kind of cool to tell people about it, albeit annoying. Congratulations on being dairy free! It's a challenge I have yet to take on.